Thursday, July 11, 2013

Constant Vigilance

As parents we quickly learn the importance of Constant Vigilance.  Turn away for a moment and the yogurt is everywhere.  Blink and a finger goes up the dog's nose.  And that quiet at nap time?  It can only mean that each and every diaper has been pulled out and spread all over his crib.  And let's not even talk about what happens when you go too long without potty time.


The Little Scoot when left to his own devices


So when the Little Scoot brought me a cup of water on a hot Sunday afternoon what did I do?  I drank it.  "What a thoughtful boy," I mused while lounging in the hammock.  After all, I'd seen him leaving the house not a minute before with the cup in hand.  Mommy must have sent him.

Then he refilled the cup in the kiddie pool.

"Did you just fill that up in the pool?" I asked.

"Yep."

Uh oh.  "Did the first glass come from the pool too?"

Silence.  Not good.

"Did the water Daddy drank come from the pool?" I persisted.

"Uh-huh."

Guess that sinking feeling in my stomach was dirty pool water.  At least the pool hadn't been used for potty time.  The Coffee Queen had a big laugh over that one.  Rookie mistake, Dad, rookie mistake.

1 comment:

  1. I once had the privilege of breakfast made by my 6 year old. It was the odd looking gooey glompy mess in a bowl. When I enquirer about the contents I was told it was pancakes, eggs, yogurt, and chunks of something I am not quite sure what it was in there. My daughter looked on with anticipation waiting for me to eat and of course I gulped and then took a spoonful and ate it. I think there were some eggshells in there as well. I told her it was delicious and that it was so good that one spoonful made me so full and then pushed the bowl over to daddy, who thought he had dodge the bullet - not so fast daddy we are on the food poison express together. We still laugh about this now that the daughter is 17.

    ReplyDelete