Wednesday, May 8, 2013

We all need a hero

For the past couple years I have been working on a children's book called "The Mighty Carrot" about a rabbit named Carrot who finds a red handkerchief, puts it on, and becomes a superhero. About a year and a half ago I was fortunate to land in a writing workshop run by Jane Resh Thomas. It was pure serendipity and I greatly appreciate being a part of such a talented group of writers. To have a group such as this to laugh with, learn from, and to be supported by is invaluable.

At last night's meeting Laurie gave me this little fellow, wrapped in red tissue paper:

The Mighty Carrot!
He's the perfect Carrot, captured in motion while off to foil some nefarious scheme. He now sits next to my computer and will be there to help inspire me and remind me of how far I've come.

These writers, the "Muskrats," are my heroes. They are tackling all manner of stories from a young Norwegian immigrant in Minneapolis to the devastation of Nagasaki, stories make me laugh and cry and fill me with wonder (I will never look at crows the same way again). And they remind me that a little bunny with big dreams is important too.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to read your book. The Coffee Queen is our hero!

    ReplyDelete